Tuesday, June 19, 2007

I am bo-ring.
I've been happily painting away at my grandmother's maritime style drafting table. Most of her stuff has either a lifesaver, a crab or a Chinese dragon on it. Sometimes all three.

I have also been reading the book "POWER Optimism" as was my mother's request. I now know that I need to relinquish my rock of negativity so that my garden may grow.

Ok, after reading some of this book, I think people misinterpret honesty for pessimism. I am honest(sometimes unnecessarily melancholic), but not always pessimistic. Truthfully, I believe things usually work themselves out. Sometimes to my detriment, as I tend to let things go for a while thinking that someone else will eventually smooth out my ruffles. This is what the author calls "Pollyanna Optimism" in the book. I think that's funny.

This is very similar to my "peel my orange" outlook on life as quoted in blog entry no. 549. I am also v. big on free-will and believe strongly in choices and interpretive freedom when it comes to your own life. I'm not a "glass is half-empty" kinda gal, I'm more like a "why should I care about the glass when I can drink straight from the carton?" kinda gal. Or a "why are you asking me this during S.V.U.?" kinda gal.

I drink fancy sugar-waters anyway, so I don't really pay much attention to those glass vitrines of old. What kind of water you ask? POWERade. and SMARTwater, and SEXUALLYTALENTEDsmoothies.

5 comments:

jasper said...

Boring? nah

I'm sure you peel your own banana. maybe

half empty or half full, thirst may be the real culprit

Lloyd Dogget said...

Similar to when someone asked you: 'How r u?' and you respond from the hip, and they are shocked and overwhelmed by your sincerity and stare with mouths gapping and brows furrowed and all the while you are thinking: 'hey Go fuck yourself, I didn't wanna talk to u anyways, you Goddamned stanger...Kinda like this Comment box.

Lloyd Dogget said...

Similar to when someone asked you: 'How r u?' and you respond from the hip, and they are shocked and overwhelmed by your sincerity and stare with mouths gapping and brows furrowed and all the while you are thinking: 'hey Go fuck yourself, I didn't wanna talk to u anyways, you Goddamned stranger...Kinda like this Comment box.

Ali Fitzgerald said...

huh? This comment box leaves me perplexed more often these days.

Karri Paul said...

I so, so, so agree with you! The other things people equate with having a "negative attitude," in my experience, are:

* realistic p.o.v.: "This glass is partially full, partially empty."
* questioning and/or analytical thought: "This glass is 49% full and 49% empty. What accounts for the remaining 1%?"
* critical observation: "This glass must have been washed by hand in hard water since..."
* consideration of alternatives: "If this were ice water instead of iced tea..." or "If we added a straw to this glass..."

Now that I think about it more, I wonder if thinking is what ticks people off.

I saw this bumper sticker yesterday:
I think, therefore I am dangerous.

Glad you're back! See you soon?