Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Well, today was Xmas and it was pretty swell, albeit lonely (solo German flutist plays a melancholy waltz as I hulk in a corner in an improvised slouch-dance). I went to Sony Center to enjoy the festivities. There was a giant Christmas tree made of legos, an ice shuffleboard field (?) and a lot of little wooden stalls selling Bratwurst.
I ate a nutella crepe with WunderSchocolade and it made my heart swell with Christmas spirit and momentary diabetes.

Then, I saw Elizabeth: The Golden Age. I realized this was the first time I had ever been to a theater alone, you know, cuz usually I go with my D&D group n' shit. Um, German movie-going is weird, here's why:

-They assign you a seat and everyone actually sits in their assigned seat! (half the movie theater was empty, but most of us were huddled in the center, I'm guessing out of fear of the German Cinemastappo.

-There were a good 45 minutes of commercials, most of which involved cell-phone plans and the implication of "doing it." I like the free-wheeling "doing it" aspect of German advertising, I mean, my thumbs are completely erect on that one. But why so many commercials? It was annoying. I had already finished my "Cab" cola (which is cola and beer mixed, mmmmmm) by the time Cate Blanchett appeared onscreen. And I needed that buzz to dull her overwhelming whiteness.

-Everyone stayed until ALL the credits were over. I was honestly so weirded out by this. Not one person moved until the screen was completely still. I guess Germans like rules a lot.

But you know what? My assigned seat was M20, and I moved to M21. In your face Kino International authority!

*A note on the movie: I really enjoyed it and even shed a little tear for poor, alienated Elizabeth. However, I can't tell if I liked it because it was a good movie or because I like any and all period dramas.

1 comment:

minimonk said...

Great posting! Funny! Was the movie in German or English with German subtitles? I'm guessing the latter. You are a bit of a rebel to change seats. There are several sayings I remember from my time abroad:
Whatever in France is not specifically prohibited is allowed- whatever in Germany is not specifically allowed is prohibited.
The Austrians say: Germans live to work and Austrians work to live.
Just a thought! Did the audience laugh uberenthusiastically at the cartoons? That is what I remember about German cinema.