Thursday, February 28, 2008

More Preaching!

This is one of the reasons I'm moving to Berlin:


http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/27/books/27holocaust.html


One of the most inspiring artist talks I ever heard was given by Miss Adrian Piper, a brilliant artist-slash-philosopher-slash-snazzy dresser. She discussed her recent move to Berlin, and spoke about the acknowledgement and accountability of the German nation as it pertains to past governmental atrocities. Then she compared it to sweet lil' America. Here, it seems we just repress uncomfortable things until it gives rise to a sinister silence.
The Germans have the Holocaust Memorial, a huge renowned structure, not to mention the Liebeskind designed Jewish Museum. Where's America's public acknowledgement of wrongdoing/thinking? I mean, isn't it weird that we don't have a huge, world-famous structure addressing 300 years of slavery? Maybe there is one that I'm ignorant of, but I'm guessing that if I haven't heard about it then it really isn't doing the job.

*Maya Lin did a good job with the Vietnam Memorial...but still.

Why is it so quiet when I discuss race in class? And why do I feel uncomfortable even while doing it? Why can't my imaginary children learn about difficult topics through class-sponsored comics?

Germany, you're so progressive n' shit.

No comments: