Sunday, February 24, 2008

So, I'm faced with a Sophie's Choice of sorts as regards my future life. I am in the running for a job at Davidson (my alma mater) and could save a lot of monies teaching there and living with my mom in North Carolina.

Or I could move to Berlin. That mysterious city that beckons to me with promises of bratwurst, substandard living conditions, deportation, and a thriving, exciting art scene.

What to do.

I love teaching, but living in North Carolina again is daunting to say the least. Living in Berlin is also daunting, but in a very different film noirish-type way. To settle or not to settle---tis' the question.
I wish I was a trust fund baby like Cecily Brown or Dash Snow, because then this wouldn't even be an issue.

Either way, it's looking more and more like I will be leaving A-town shortly. Aw.

6 comments:

Ivan said...

I'm going to be REALLY sad when you leave.

Axel said...

Dear Sophie, will a Nazi assassin visit your mom if you move to Berlin? Will wieners make you less nauseous if you eat them in North Carolina? Do you have children we don't know about?

I'm sure you'll make the right decision. If you don't it will haunt you the rest of your life.

Alison said...

haha. Will weiners make me less nauseous if I eat them in North Carolina....good question Axel.

Agent Quiller said...

You have the Magic that makes the Moon rise. I'll see you in Berlin.

jasper said...

Team Berlin. Although it's gonna be tuff scoring some "cheese" out there.

arturo said...

You always have a home in the ATX. love you and will miss u!