Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Whew, Deutschland won against Turkey.
Not that I hate the Turkish, I just think there would have been riots and manfights if upstart Turkey had beaten Germany.
I went to go meet my friends Willi and Nikki at the Himmelreich to watch the game, but the streets were full of hundreds of people, all wearing Deutsch/Turkish colors and I just felt weird and sham-like and overwhelmed. As I was walking, people were singing the national anthem alongside the tv and I just felt so...not German.
Right now people are playing the kazoo and hurling fireworks outside of my window. I don't know if there's an American equivalent to the Europeans' craziness over fooseball, I can honestly say that I've never seen such widespread fervor in my life. It's like a country of Tammy Faye Bakkers or something. Heads bobbling, eyes bulging, tears flowing, money laundering (in bars?).

I almost cried myself, and I don't even give a shit. But there's something kind of beautiful and emotional about everyone in Berlin partying communally.

*Sidenote: I must say that in general, the Germans are quite staid and reserved. But not in fooseball.

*This is the longest and last entry I have written/will write about sports. Unless Germany wins the final, in which case I think every Berliner's head will implode and a bunch of wundershokolade will come out.

No comments: